Saturday, 15 February 2014

More on peasant dress patterns (and adapting the size) for baby girls



I last posted about the lilac coloured dress I made for my then 5 month old older grand-daughter - but intended for her in a few weeks' time. Peasant dress for 5 month old girl. I based it on the Stitching Scientist's free pattern. However, there are several other good patterns free on the internet for a similar type of dress, and with tutorials available. The advantage of these is that they may be in different sizes. Stitching Scientist says her pattern was designed to fit one-year old twins who are small for their age, about 6-9 months size. Having tried it, I think it will be fine width wise for my grand-daughter who will be 5-6 months when she wears it, but I had to shorten it.

The one below was made from a different pattern for 0-3 months:




This was also a free pattern for this cute little dress, from Sewmuchado. The 0-3 months size was free when I found it, but she also has patterns in different sizes available to purchase. This web site also has a very clear tutorial (thank you). 

This is another free peasant top pattern, from make-your-own-baby-stuff, which comes in several sizes. As the author says, the design is quite forgiving. The elastication round the neck and arms means each size will probably work for at least a few weeks or even months: perhaps first as a long dress, and then as a short top.

I quite often find I need to adapt patterns, or adjust the sizes. You can see below how I adapted the Sewmuchado pattern, for a baby bigger than the suggested size.


The Sewmuchado pattern was a 0-3 months size, which I needed to enlarge just a little. Baby I was about 4 months old (albeit still tiny for her age.) I added 2 1/2" to the length of the bodice bottom pattern piece (8.5 cm), following the curve, on the bottom edge of the Sewmuchado pattern. I then continued the bottom edge curve about 1 1/4", to add to the width of the piece (about 3.25 cm). That point I joined more or less to the under arm point.

On the picture above, you can see the solid lines of the original pattern, and the large dashes show where the two pieces were to be joined.  The smaller dashed lines are my additions. Because baby I was quite small round her chest, I didn't feel the need to add much to the top, but I liked the slightly more flared skirt this gave. Obviously as you cut two of the pattern on folded material, this added 4 x 1 1/4", or 5", to the bottom hem circumference. What you can't see is that I trimmed a little from the curve of the armhole at the bottom to make it a bit bigger (round about where the word ' infant' appears). This meant I needed to add about 1/4" to the sleeves on the straight seam and the neckline so the sleeve would still fit. I did this just by comparing the patterns (the armhole curve should pretty much match).

Then it was a straightforward matter of cutting it out and sewing it together - and of course attaching the little lion!


It seems to make its owner happy wearing it! 


The polycotton material has giraffes, lions and tigers in shades of yellow and orange, there is a large appliqued smiling lion on it, and orange ric-rac braiding. It is lined in plain white polycotton. As you can see, there are also matching knickers made from the Dana Made It diaper cover pattern here. I've used this pattern a lot, it's brilliant, thank you Dana.

I'll list some of the other free patterns I've used (or intend to use!) on a later post.

No comments:

Post a Comment