/*CUSTOM CONTACT FORM BY ICANBUILDABLOG.COM */ .contact-form-widget { margin-left:auto; margin-right:auto; width: 600px; max-width: 100%; padding: 0px; color: #000; } .fm_name, .fm_email { float:left; padding:5px; width:48% } .fm_message { padding:5px; } .contact-form-name, .contact-form-email { width: 100%; max-width: 100%; margin-bottom: 10px; height:40px; padding:10px; font-size:16px; } .contact-form-email-message { width:100%; max-width: 100%; height:100px; margin-bottom:10px; padding:10px; font-size:16px; } .contact-form-button-submit { border-color: #C1C1C1; background: #E3E3E3; color: #585858; width: 20%; max-width: 20%; margin-bottom: 10px; height:30px; font-size:16px; } .contact-form-button-submit:hover{ background: #ffffff; color: #000000; border: 1px solid #FAFAFA; }

Wednesday, 3 December 2014

Romper Suit from Dana's Diaper Cover Pattern


On an earlier post, I wrote about baby pants and knickers. I have used Dana's Perfect Diaper Cover pattern and tutorial to make romper suits, too - works perfectly. You can find her pattern and tutorial here. Footnote 2015 - she has a revised pattern now but it is also on her website.

And just look at the fabulous material I found to make them! I called this the Gonk fabric when I was planning what to make. 


If you read on, you'll find out how to make the easiest baby rompers in the world.





First, I extended the height of the waist to armpit level (by measuring the baby!) and adjusted the 'waist' elastic to chest size.  Bright yellow double-fold bias tape went round the legs and top edge to form a casing for the elastic. Then I added four straps, two front and two back, to make tie shoulders. At this point, you could say you're done.




Isn't she adorable?



However, I do so love this material, it's bright turquoise, with weird monsters or gonk-like creatures on it. I couldn't stop at that. I also added a little pocket at the front, with more bias at the top edge, and I used one of the monsters cut out of the material to make a gonk to keep in the pocket. It was padded with a tiny bit of wadding, and attached to a string sewn inside the bottom of the pocket - so it could come out but wouldn't get lost or swallowed. Though of course it did get a good chewing, and eventually the tumble dryer did for it. Never mind, it provided a nice outfit for sunny days. 


I will certainly use the method again next summer. Maybe I won't bother with a pocket accessory! 

Footnote: It actually took me more than one summer to do this again. Slightly different style, with adjustable straps via D rings. I got this second one out of a fat quarter for a newborn.


No comments:

Post a Comment