I also wrote more recently about my quilts for the girls, which were actually made a while ago as well. And one of the things I said in that post was that there were quilting squares left over for another project.
And here's the result!
To find out how to make a sleeping bag like this, read on.
Jane needed another much larger sleeping bag (as she rolls around in bed a lot, and the previous year's was way outgrown). So I enlarged the original pattern. This is from Small Dream Factory. The pattern is for 6-14 months old, but I used the basic shape to create a much bigger pattern. I extended the shoulders straps a little, just an inch or two, and increased the width at the top a bit, but mostly I just continued the side lines down until I had a suitable length.
I had also changed the front opening to a side opening with a much longer zip, going down one side and round the bottom - I think this was a 30" zip. The only problem was that the longer zips (or anyway the one I could get) have a much lumpier top bit, where it would be under her arm pit. I added some padding and a padded flap to go over it. You can see the flap here, and the Velcro to hold it down.
Initially I also made the shoulder straps fasten with Velcro - see below.
But by this time, Jane was wise to how to open Velcro, so she could tear it off too easily. I corrected this with snap fasteners which were harder for her to undo. Thwarted - for a while!
I also added a little initial appliqué on the shoulder. (Jane is not her first name!)
I think another time, I might go back to the upside down front zip approach used in the Small Dream Factory tutorial, at least for sizes where the child is likely to try removal - it's too easy with the zip closure at the top. But for Jane, at least, sleeping bags are probably a thing of the past, at least until she goes camping.